Saturday, September 21, 2013

Growing

For me, every time I see my niece, I am constantly reminded of how time flies. I was still working in Singapore when my sister was pregnant, and then when she was born, I met her for only three weeks then I went to Beijing (link here). Earlier this year when I came back from Beijing for winter holiday, she's already five months old. Now, when I'm back for good, she's one year old already (click here). I still remember small she was when she was born, she looked so fragile to me I didn't even have a courage to held her in my arms haha.

My niece is one y.o. now and we're admiring our own reflections haha

A child's growth, it's so easy to notice. You can physically notice the difference. But what about us? So called adults, or young adults? Do we change a lot too? Let say in two years time, what had changed in us? For me, I had some physical changes, from long to short to long hair again. I also managed to develop some skill in grooming my face (make up LOL). Managed to travel further than any of my other family members. But that's the physical, it's noticeable, anyone can see it. But how a bout our physiological? What about our values, point of views, way of thinking, do they change too in all these time?

I personally think that it is harder for ourselves to see the inner changes inside of ourselves. For me, it is easier to know on what's changing in us physiologically by hearing others' opinion about us, then you can decide whether what they think is suitable for you or not. I personally love to hear other people's story, especially if it's related to me (not just gossip -who doesn't love gossip anyway- but facts too).

I gave you one example, I don't want to judge someone (but I think I just did :p), but this is a value that I hold till now. One of my friend starts to smoke, which I never thought that this friend would ever done it- at least in my ideal kind of world (fabricated on my mind). I think that smoking is a useless habit and I hate the smoke. I don't want to hate the smoker, I just hate when they're starting to smoke. I didn't tell anything to that friend of mine that I disagree of what she's doing because I believe that we already know the consequences on what we're doing, come on, we're more that a quarter century old.
Few days passed and I was just chatting with another old friend of mind and I told her that one of my old friend started a bad habit which is smoking. These two friends didn't know each other, but this old friend told me, "if physically you can see your friend started a new habit, who knew on what other changes from this friend that you can't see."

Her comments startled me.. We are always changing and growing as a human being. Don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, you're the one who decide it. Just like my niece, she's not only growing physically, but her ego also started to built up. Maybe as an adult, our physiological changes is not as noticeable as a child since we tried to control ourselves in front of people. But my friend's opinion made me think that there's gotta be something physiologically different from me than who I was in two years ago. The question is whether I am brave enough to admit it myself and to show it to the world.

Nah.. I think I'd rather play safe hahaha...


Cheers!

Abeth




No comments:

Post a Comment